Dieser Beitrag ist auch verfügbar auf: Deutsch
Even if gnocchi is often listed under pasta on the Italian menu, they count among potato dishes. While pasta consists of durum wheat semolina, gnocchi are made from boiled potatoes. The special processing of the potatoes gives gnocchi their noodle-like consistency, which is often combined with various pasta sauces. Here I will show you how you can prepare your own gnocchis.
The secret of the recipe: Mixing potatoes, egg and flour
First the potatoes are peeled in the classic way and boiled in salted water. Then they are mashed into a pulp, seasoned with nutmeg and kneaded with an egg and flour. This means that the gnocchi will keep their shape afterwards and won’t fall apart while cooking. But how do you get your noodle-like shape? Very simple: After the potatoes have been kneaded with egg and flour, a firm dough is created, which is rolled out into a kind of sausage (1-2 cm in diameter). To do this, a little flour should be spread on the work surface so that the dough does not stick too much. Individual pieces are then cut off from this sausage and shaped into small oval dough pieces, which are then pressed in with a fork. This gives the gnocchi their typical shape. The dough pieces are then boiled in a saucepan with salted water. They are ready when they start swimming at the top. Then they just have to be poured off or taken out of the water with a ladle and processed further as desired.
Nutritional information per serving of gnocchi:
Calories: 329 – Protein: 13g – Fat: 4g – Carbs: 60g
Gnocchi Basic Recipe
- 300g potatoes
- 130g flour + flour for working
- 1 egg
- salt, nutmeg
- Step 1 Peel the potatoes and boil in salted water
- Step 2 Drain the boiled potatoes, add 1 egg and mash to a pulp
- Step 3 Add the flour to the dough (optionally use more flour until the dough does not stick anymore), season with salt and nutmeg and knead.
- Step 4 Roll out the dough into a 1-2cm thin roll (or sausage) and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Step 5 Cut 1-2cm wide pieces from the roll, shape them into oval shapes in your hand and press the well-known gnocchi pattern into them with a fork.
- Step 6 Put the gnocchis into a pot of salted water and simmer until they float to the top. Then drain, rinse with cold water and process as desired.