In this post, I’ll show you a quick and easy recipe for sweet and sour chicken with rice. I used vegan soy meat for this. If you like, you can also use fresh organic chicken fillet.
This dish has been on my to-do list for so long and now I’ve finally found the time to devote myself to it. The result was this delicious result, which can be prepared 100% vegan or classically with organic chicken fillet.
While looking for the perfect flavors, I was surprised how easy it is to prepare this sweet and sour chicken. You really don’t need any extraordinary ingredients or a lot of flavor enhancers and aromas. With the simplest ingredients that everyone has at home, the sweet and sour sauce with crunchy vegetables can be prepared and enjoyed in just 30 minutes.
Nutritional information per serving of sweet and sour chicken:
Calories: 473 – Protein: 20g – Fat: 7g – Carbs: 82g
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 180g chicken fillet (vegan, e.g. soy-based)
- 3 spring onions
- 1 paprika
- 50g bamboo slices
- 50g pineapple in pieces
- 150g basmati rice
- For the sauce :
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- a bit of salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- some water
- Vegetable oil for the pan
- Step 1 First, fry the meat on both sides in a pan with vegetable oil at 3/4 the heat. Then remove, cut into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Step 2 Cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- Step 3 Cut the spring onion and paprika into fine cubes and sauté in a pan over medium heat.
- Step 4 Meanwhile, stir the sauce together. Make sure that the cornstarch is only stirred in last, so that no lumps form. Add enough water (or pineapple juice) until the sauce has a good, not too runny consistency. Season to taste with salt.
- Step 5 Now add the sauce, bamboo slices, pineapple and meat to the vegetables, mix well and let it steep for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Step 6 Serve everything with rice.