Switch the language to: Deutsch
In this post, I’ll show you how to prepare a delicious casserole made of white cabbage and potatoes with a creamy sauce and a crispy cheese crust.
Casseroles are really nice, aren’t they? Unfortunately, they are far too rare for me, even though they are super easy to prepare and simply taste great. What I particularly like about casseroles is that you can comfortably warm them up the next day. Most of the time, they taste even better afterwards, because all the ingredients are pulled through again really nicely. So it was with this delicious white cabbage and potatoes casserole! Freshly prepared with a crispy cheese crust, this casserole made of white cabbage and potatoes is of course the most beautiful, but in terms of taste I really have to admit that it was a lot tastier the next day.
Incidentally, white cabbage and potatoes go well together! White cabbage is a little more flavorful than its cabbage family (e.g. cabbage which is rather mild) and therefore gives this dish a great and spicy note. In combination with a delicious bechamel, floury potatoes and a crispy cheese crust, you can conjure up a great dish for the whole family.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories: 320 – Protein: 18g – Fat: 16g – Carbs: 25g
White Cabbage Casserole with Potatoes
- 1/2 white cabbage, 250g potatoes
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 20g butter
- 1-2 tbsp flour, 1L milk
- 100g Edam cheese
- salt, pepper, nutmeg
- Step 1 First peel the potatoes and boil them in salted water for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the white cabbage into fine strips and sauté in a deep pan with a little vegetable oil. After about 5 minutes, deglaze with vegetable stock and bring to a boil until the liquid reduces
- Step 2 For the sauce, make a roux: Melt butter in a saucepan and whisk briskly with flour. Then pour in milk and bring to a boil at a higher temperature until the sauce thickens. Then season with salt, pepper and nutmeg
- Step 3 cut the cooled potatoes into even slices. Then layer them together with the white cabbage in a baking dish. Spread some of the sauce between the layers and finish with sauce. Finally, spread the cheese as the last layer
- Step 4 bake the casserole at 180 degrees O/U for about 20 minutes.